If you are graduating this year and are looking to apply for graduate schemes, you need to be on top of it now. Here’s 5 quick tips to make your plan great.
- Like the 3 Musketeers: oh no, hang on, I mean the Boy Scouts, Be Prepared. Or if not, you’d better get prepped to fail, because competition is fierce, the deadlines are tight and the schemes are open – now. Tool: Get organised with Wunderlist, the online to-do.
- Make a plan: and make a plan B. Don’t get set on one. Look around but do your research to what you really want. And have a non- grad-scheme idea in mind too. Tool: Browse employers on BraveNewTalent to look for graduate schemes.
- Be flexible. Some grad schemes will expect you to turn up the next day for assessment, or for you to relocate. If you won’t, someone else will. Tool: See train timetables and national updates at National Rail.
- Grow up. This is where work begins and the companies who hire grads expect a certain level from their hires. Exceed, or at least live up to their expectations. Tool: Get the right attitde with Ask a Manager.
- Stay positive: yes, it’s tough, but positive mental attitude makes a difference. If you don’t ask, you won’t get. So start today. Tool: (video) Get motivated with Dan Pink.